Lori is walking to her car in a shopping mall parking lot at night when Brian suddenly jumps in front of her and points a knife in her face. Brian strikes Lori. Fortunately, Lori took a self-defense class and hits Brian with her knee and fists and while running to safety, falls and hits her head. Lori dies from her injuries. Brian is subsequently arrested and charged with assault, battery, and murder.
- Determine whether your home state will prevail in a prosecution against Brian for assault, battery, and murder, and to what degree of murder.
- Refer to FindLaw’s webpage to locate the criminal laws in your state (New Jersey).
- Be sure to identify all the elements and evidence necessary for a conviction.
Jack is angry at his local school because his son is being bullied. He drives to the school to meet and talk to the principal. At the school, the meeting does not go well and he threatens to “bring the house down” if his son is not better protected at school. Jack creates a Facebook page titled, “Down with Hill High School” and advocates to followers to “change the regime.”
- Under federal law, can federal prosecutors charge Jack with terrorism?
Juan has worked on Bob’s farm for 10 years and one night gets arrested for DUI. When Juan fails to show up for work on Monday morning, Bob finds out that Juan is in the country illegally. Juan shows up at Bob’s house and asks for his last paycheck so he can flee the country. Bob can’t pay Juan but agrees to let him stay in his home and work around the farm for food and shelter. Juan remains in the country illegally for another two years, misses his criminal and immigration hearings, and marries Bob’s daughter, a U.S. citizen. Bob and Juan are arrested by immigration federal officers two months later.
- Under immigration law, can Bob be charged with harboring an illegal alien?
- Can Juan be removed from the United States, pending a fair hearing?
- Pursuant to the chapter readings, write a 34-page paper in which you analyze the three scenarios explained above and answer the specific questions.
- Use at least three quality academic resources in this assignment. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the or review .
- Write clearly and concisely in a manner that is grammatically correct and generally free of spelling, typographical, formatting, and/or punctuation errors.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions. The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Distinguish among crimes against persons, including terrorism and criminal conduct against the government.