MGT-8103 Nucor – Written Case Analysis
Nucor – Written Case Analysis
A case study is expected to reflect your understanding of the actual application of strategic management and the relevant material we have covered throughout the course. See a guide to case analysis in the Welcome module at the top of the module page.
Written case analysis should be no less than 5 pages and a maximum of 10 pages in length (1.5 spaced, 12 point font size, Times New Roman and 1-inch margins). The 10 pages do not include the required cover page, appendices, attached figures or bibliography.
When putting together your write-up, make use of an extended bullet format rather than extensive essay style paragraphs. Each bullet should include a central point and a few sentences (3 to 4) justifying the point. If you feel the need for more explanation than can be contained in these few sentences, then consider that you may need to use sub-bullets. This is fine as long as there is a logic to your usage. For a brief guide, see:
Case questions are as follows:
1. What are the primary competitive forces impacting U.S. steel producers in general and the producers like Nucor that make new steel products via recycling scrap steel in particular? Please do a five-forces analysis to support your answer.
2. What driving forces do you see at work in this industry as of 2018? Are they likely to impact the industry’s competitive structure favorably or unfavorably?
3. How attractive are the prospects for future profitability of U.S. steelmakers, given the tariffs recently imposed on foreign steel imports by the Trump Administration? Should Nucor consider expanding in this type of industry environment? Why or why not?
4. What type of strategy has Nucor followed? Which of the five generic strategies discussed in Chapter 5 is Nucor employing? Is there any reason to believe that Nucor has achieved a sustainable competitive advantage over many of its steel industry rivals in North America? If so, what type of competitive advantage does Nucor enjoy?
5. What are the specific policies and operating practices that Nucor has employed to implement and execute its chosen strategy?
6. What specific factors account for why Nucor has been so successful over the past several decades? Do these factors have more to do with great strategy, great strategy execution, or great leadership?
7. What does a SWOT analysis reveal about Nucor’s situation in 2018? Does Nucor have any core or distinctive competencies?
8. What is your assessment of Nucor’s financial performance during the 2013-2017 period shown in case Exhibit 3? How strong is the company’s financial condition going into 2018?
9. What issues does Nucor management need to address?
10. What recommendations would you make to John Ferriola as of mid-2018?