BIO150 – Nutrition
Unit 6 Assignment: Water Intake Assignment
Due Date: 11:59 pm EST Sunday of Unit 6 Points: 60 Overview: Without proper hydration (from water), our bodies are incapable of performing its daily tasks. For this assignment, you will analyze your daily water intake. Instructions:
• First, calculate the number of ounces of WATER (not any other drinks) you drink in a day.
• Next, calculate the number of ounces of water you need to drink in a day by dividing your body weight in pounds by 2. This number, in ounces, will give you the recommendation for the right amount of water you should be consuming daily.
• Caffeine has a diuretic effect on the body, which means that it increases water loss.
o Calculate the number of ounces of caffeine (coffee, tea, energy drinks, etc.) that you drink each day.
• Add the number of ounces of caffeine you drink each day to the number of ounces you should be drinking each day. This will give you the number you should aim for on a daily basis.
• If the number of ounces that are recommended per day is vastly different than the number including caffeine ounces, you will want to slowly introduce more water into your plan each week.
o Set up a plan for how you will incorporate more ounces over the next month. Be specific and explain your reasoning.
• After reading the article “Back to Basics” in this week’s Readings and Resources, explain how you will work to use one of the tips mentioned to increase your water intake each day.
• Research and explain some ways to decrease caffeine in your life.
• Submit a Word document in APA format. Be sure to read the criteria below by which your work will be evaluated before you write and again after you write.
Evaluation Rubric for Unit 6 Assignment
CRITERIA Deficient Needs Improvement
(0-8 points) (9-14 points) (15-18 points) (19-20 points) Water Calculations
The water calculations are not included.
Only one of the water calculations is included.
Two or three of the water calculations are included.
All of the water calculations are included.
Water Intake Tip
The water intake tip is not included.
The water intake tip is not from a reliable source.
The water intake tip is included but is lacking details.
The water intake tip is included and written in a clear and detailed manner.
The tip to decrease caffeine is not included.
The tip to decrease caffeine is not from a reliable source.
The tip to decrease caffeine is included but is lacking details.
The tip to decrease caffeine is included and written in a clear and detailed manner.